healthy pancake recipe are difficult to master because pancakes are meant to be light, soft, and fluffy. All things that whole wheat Pancake flour isn’t. However, finding the right balance of ingredients to make your pancakes whole-grain AND fluffy isn’t impossible.
This is the healthiest pancake recipe that my kids REALLY chow down on. Believe me; I have tried other “your kids are going to love these healthy pancakes” recipes. They didn’t. They knew right away there was something not right and they wouldn’t bite!
Now, I will admit that this recipe has literally evolved over time. Therefore, my children didn’t notice the small healthy changes I made to it each time I made them. Notice the difference between the original pancake recipe and Simple Daily Recipes’ whole wheat pan cake recipe.
HEALTHY WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES RECIPE
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water (whisked together, set aside to thicken)
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Real 100% Maple Syrup, there are no substitutions!
- Heat up the griddle on Medium heat. Mix the dry ingredients together and add in all wet ingredients, except maple syrup. Beat until batter is smooth.
- By this time, the griddle should be hot enough to pour the batter. If the griddle is too hot, simply remove it from the heat for a minute or two and turn down the burner just a bit.
- Pour out enough batter to make 4-inch cakes whole wheat pan cake recipe. When the tops become bubbly, it’s time to flip. The second side will cook faster than the first, so DON’T WALK AWAY, cook until golden brown. Serve up hot with maple syrup drizzled on top.
Whole Wheat Pan cakes recipe :
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 / 4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 / 3 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 / 3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 / 2 c. teaspoon salt
- 1 / 2 c. teaspoon baking soda
- 1 / 2 c. teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 3 / 4 cup buttermilk
- 1 / 4 cup canola oil
- 1 / 3 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- Zest of one lemon
- 1-2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon and set aside. Mix liquid ingredients together and lemon zest and stir into dry mixture. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Pour 1 / 4 to 1 / 3 cup of batter into a hot skillet and sprinkle with blueberries. Turn the pancake when bubbles appear on the surface. Pour maple syrup. Makes a dozen or so whole wheat pan cake recipe.
Keep pancakes warm in a preheated 200F degree oven until all pancakes are cooked. Serve immediately. Pancakes taste best right after they are made.whole wheat pan cake recipe freezes well, up to 2 months.